DUMBSHOW: Moon

There's been any number of theatre-related posts cropping up on this blog in recent weeks - so many, in fact, that you might have wondered whether this was still a film blog at all. Rest assured, I am working on my next review, but in the meantime I'd like to plug one more event that I'm really excited about.
http://www.dumbshow.org/wp-content/uploads/moonside.jpg
Before they take a trip to Edinburgh with The Pearl, Dumbshow are holding two performances of their new show Moon at the Rose Theatre in Kingston. Moon comes from the pen of Sam Gayton, the genius behind Clockheart Boy and The Snow Merchant (his brilliant debut novel). Set in a 1980s tower block in Elephant & Castle, London, it tells the story of a young boy who discovers that he is an alien when he starts turning different colours.
http://www.dumbshow.org/wp-content/themes/inuitypes/images/core/logo-red.gif
I don't want to say much more about the story of the show - and plot details on Dumbshow's website are a little vague. But I'm a big fan of urban fairy tales and fantasy, such as Philip Ridley's Heartless or Bernard Rose's Candyman. I'm also very interested in stories about young people shaping their identity, and any attempts to put a spin on traditional coming-of-age tropes. Gayton is a great writer with a knack for integrating magical concepts into ordinary settings, and this seems like an ideal project into which Dumbshow can sink their ever-more-prestigious claws.
http://www.dumbshow.org/wp-content/uploads/comp.jpg
Moon previews at the Rose Theatre, Kingston on July 25th and July 26th, with shows at 8:30pm and 4:00pm respectively. You can book your tickets for either performance here. Be sure to check out Dumbshow if you're heading to this year's Fringe, along with the other two shows I plugged in my Edinburgh round-up here.

My next review should be up within a few days, and appropriately enough it has a fairy tale connection. Hope you like it...

Daniel

Comments