BLOG SPOT #8: Thoughts of a SteelMonster

Welcome to this month's Blog Spot, where I bring to your attention blogs or reviewers that you should be following. This month's edition is a few days late since I've been on a recce in Wales for work (which was great).
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - 2
After last month's very popular plug for JesuOtaku, we now turn the focus back to the amateur sphere of reviewing - in particular to Andy Steel and his blog, Thoughts of a SteelMonster. I've been aware of Andy's reviews for some time, really ever since I started joining film-related groups on Facebook. Andy is one of the most prolific non-professional reviewers that I've come across, getting through an insane number of screenings every year. While I'm lucky if I see and review 100 films a year (which works out at one every three days), Andy got through nearly 250 in 2011.
Blue Valentine - 3
That's not to say that he skims on detail, however. His reviews are shorter and punchier than mine (which isn't remotely hard), but he comes straight to the point and like all the best reviewers tries to find some way to recommend whatever he's looking at. He's also careful to stress any spoilers that may crop up (which I often don't do) and includes quotes and helpful clips to give readers a better idea of the context of his arguments. While his site isn't aesthetically remarkable, he's a very likeable and reliable source of reviews.
The Iron Lady - 1
You can read Andy's reviews at his blog here. Alternatively you can follow him on Twitter @Andys_Reviews or find him on Google+ here. Happy reading!

Daniel

Comments

  1. I'm very flattered Daniel... Thanks for writing such a nice piece about my blog... I must be slowing down; only managed 201 in 2012!... Love your work, keep it up!...

    Andy Steel - a.k.a. Steelmonster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleasure Andy, I'll do my best :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment