Relocating from Northumberland to my new home in North Devon has got me feeling all nostalgic. In the midst of watching the Nostalgia Critic and preparing for a job interview I have on Thursday, I stumbled across some of my earliest work as a reviewer. And since I've a few minutes to kill, I figured I'd share it with you.
I cut my reviewing teeth writing The Warwick Boar, the University of Warwick's student newspaper. In two years on the Music and Comment teams in 2008 and 2009, I contributed album reviews, theatre reviews and comment pieces on the issues of the day. Some of them I'm still pretty happy with, some haven't aged at all well, but I guess that means I've developed as a writer in the last three years (feel free to disagree).
So, if you're interested in seeing how good (and bad) I was before I started blogging about films, here's a list of most of my articles for The Warwick Boar. Enjoy!
N.B. I did a few articles prior to the ones listed below, but the website was revamped halfway through my final year and they didn't bother to transfer the pages across. I can provide paper copies on request, but heck, you're not that interested.
1. An interview with folk band Lewis Garland & the Kett Rebellion and review of their subsequent gig at the Warwick Arts Centre: http://theboar.org/music/2008/nov/25/lewis-garland-kett-rebellion/
2. Review of So, Who's Paranoid? by The Damned: http://theboar.org/music/2008/dec/2/so-whos-paranoid/
3. Review of No Line On The Horizon by U2: http://theboar.org/music/2009/mar/10/no-line-horizon/
4. Review of Places We Neglect by Lewis Garland & The Kett Rebellion: http://theboar.org/music/2009/apr/21/places-we-neglect/
5. Review of Sounds Of The Universe by Depeche Mode: http://theboar.org/music/2009/apr/28/sounds-universe/
6. An article on the 40th anniversary of Tommy by The Who: http://theboar.org/music/2009/apr/28/tommy-can-you-hear-me/
7. Review of the self-titled album by The Airborne Toxic Event: http://theboar.org/music/2009/jun/22/airborne-toxic-event/
8. Review of Ellipse by Imogen Heap: http://theboar.org/music/2009/oct/4/ellipse/
1. Review of A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Warwick Arts Centre: http://theboar.org/arts/2009/jun/21/life-could-be-dream/
2. Review of 'Tis Pity She's A Whore at the Warwick Arts Centre: http://theboar.org/arts/2009/jun/21/no-pity-only-joy/
1. An article on the legacy of Peter Cook, to remark the erection of a blue plaque to him in London: http://theboar.org/comment/2009/feb/24/cook-walk/
2. An article on the rise in cosmetic surgery despite the recession: http://theboar.org/comment/2009/mar/3/heads-shoulders-knees-and-toes/
3. A rant about Philip Pullman and British identity: http://theboar.org/comment/2009/mar/10/britain-dead-get-over-it/
4. An article on the use of technology in education: http://theboar.org/comment/2009/apr/21/education-20-beta/
5. A tribute to Clement Freud: http://theboar.org/comment/2009/apr/28/last-polymath/